Wednesday, April 27, 2011

One Word is Enough

Interviewer: what's your name?
Me: Yusuf, Raidah Intizar
(Interviewer -a native- stare the monitor and got the application)
Interviewer: where do you wanna go in the US?
Me: Iowa
Interviewer: tell me, are you come from the same program as the previous?
Me: Yes
Interviewer: what's your major?
Me: communication
Interviewer: when will you graduate?
Me: next year? (unsure, perhaps faster than that, but ain't going to tell)
Interviewer: what you gonna do after your graduation?
Me: continue my study
Interviewer: what will you learn?
Me: journalism
Interviewer: o, you study journalism. Okay. Tell me, how did you got selected?
Me: well, i applied, i got interviewed, and then passed. That's all.
Interviewer: good for you.
Me: indeed.
Interviewer: wait a second... (typing on his computer, rip a part of white card) your visa has been approved. (hand over some other part of white card)
Me: thank you very much.
*
This is how my visa interview goes. I wasn't that sure before this interview, whether i get my visa or not. But unlike other, i plan to answer all question explicitly. As i know American are very effective. Just tell them what they need to know, not what you need to talk.
When all my friends busy to arrange the perfect answer for the interview, i tend to answer just one word for each question. And the white card is the prove for the need of direct answer. Believe me, one word is enough.
*
So, i really am going to see... aurora borealis... and squirrels. Alhamdulillah. :)

No comments: